Wednesday, June 6, 2007

My All Time Latino All Star Team

I was talking to my friend Carlos Hernandez this past Friday about baseball and he came up with his all time Latino All Star team. What I found interesting about the list is how much generational differences can influence who will be placed on lists. Now in terms of Latino players, it really wasn't until recent years where Latinos really started to dominate. Where maybe 20-30 years ago you had 2 or 3 dominant players, now you have 10-15 players who are at the top of the league statistics. Why?

For one obvious reason, there are more Latino players in the league than there were even 10 years ago. They are not only relegated to such positions as pitchers and shortstops. They are playing all positions which leads to more opportunities to play and dominate. So, in looking over his list, it made me wonder who I would place on my list.

Anyways, here is Carlos' list by position:

C: Manny Sanguillen
1B: Orlando Cepeda/Tony Perez
2B: Roberto Alomar
SS: Luis Aparicio
3B: Alex Rodriguez
LF: Roberto Clemente
CF: Mateo Alou
RF: Manny Ramirez
SP: Juan Marichal

And here is mine:

C: Ivan Rodriguez
1B: Vic Power
2B: Roberto Alomar
SS: Luis Aparicio/Omar Vizquel
3B: Alex Rodriguez
LF: Roberto Clemente
CF: Bernie Williams
RF: Manny Ramirez
DH: Edgar Martinez
SP: Juan Marichal
RP: Mariano Rivera

What do you think. Who do you believe should be on the list or should not be on this list. Drop me a line. Let me know.

2 comments:

Solrac said...

Very interesting contrasts in playing styles and personalities when comparing these 2 lists. I suppose that this comparison holds for all players of these respective eras.

On another note, there has recently been a rash of recognition bestowed on Latin Players who because of the color line played their careers in the Negro Leagues. Players like Martín Dihigo, consdiered one of the best all around ever and "Perucho" Cepeda, who was considered far superior to his son Orlando by the old timers who I listend to while I was growing up.

SiscoVanilla said...

Now my list is contingent of the MLB view of what a Latino is. Though if going by my earlier post of Latinos in the Hall of Fame, Ted Williams would be on my list. Thanks for the comment. Hope you will continue to add to the blog.

Francisco